Thursday, January 22, 2009

What are you supposed to feel when someone you spent part of your growing up years with is suddenly gone? Someone you weren't close too. I seldom even saw him as a young man. The picture in my mind is of red hair and freckles. Missing teeth. Loud little boy voices.

I grieve so much for his family. With one son suddenly gone and another on the brink. Will he be gone soon too? How do you survive the loss of a son? Of two sons at once? I have wept for them today. Prayed a little. I didn't know what to pray really. Around the ache in my chest I think all I got out was "Be with them please."

I know the one lost is not lost. He is with Jesus. Alive and well and happy. But what of the ones left behind? How will they make it through the days and nights ahead? It's them we grieve for. For the ones who are missing his smile and his voice. Who wonder why it happened.

I know this family is surrounded by love. By prayers. By the comforting presence of friends. There will be meals delivered and hospital bills covered. There will be songs sung and scripture read. Hugs. Tearful silences. Long talks, long "listens". We who are responsible to be His hands and feet will be there. And He will be there. In the empty still of the night He will be there. He never lets go! He never lets go, no matter how dark it gets. And this is my prayer for this family. That they will see Him. That they will feel His arms of love around them. That they will never forget, even in the darkest of times, that our God is good! That he loves them and grieves with them. That their son is safe in His arms and He will be there to help them through the loneliness, the despair, and anger. He will never leave them.

"I will bless the Lord who guides me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right
beside me.

No wonder my heart is filled with joy,
and my mouth shouts his praises!
My body rests in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the
dead
or allow your godly one to rot in the grave.
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you
forever.
Psalm 16:7-11

No comments: