Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dairy-free, Gluten-free Peanut Butter Playdough

We have so much fun with this recipe. I am so glad we can get powdered rice milk to make this as it is one of the things we were missing when we had to go dairy-free. It just occurred to me the other day that this would probably work for chocolate-covered peanut butter balls. My great-grandma always makes piles of them for Christmas and I love them. A sugar- and dairy-free version would mean the kids could enjoy them as well (and I would have no guilt about indulging!) I don't have any pics of this now, I need to get used to taking pictures of recipes and crafts I want to post:) Anyway--here it is. . .

1/2 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy works)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup rice milk powder (we used Miss Roben's)
1/4 cup sorghum flour (we have also used sweet rice flour and brown rice flour successfully, I like the sorghum best so far)

Mix peanut butter and honey in a medium-sized bowl. Add rice milk powder and sorghum flour and mix thoroughly.

Sometimes the kids play with it and sometimes they just eat it:)

If I were going to make choc-covered balls I would roll tablespoon sized balls, set them on a cookie sheet covered in waxed-paper and chill. Meanwhile melt chocolate of choice. I like Sunspire grain-sweetened chocolate chips. Use a fork to roll the p.b. balls in the chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip back into the pan. Chill until chocolate is firm.

We got the Miss Roben's rice milk powder on-line at allergygrocer.com. Other brands of dairy-free and soy-free milk power are Better Than Milk rice milk; and Vance's Dari-free which I believe is a potato-base milk.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! We haven't tested for allergies, because we're generally pretty healthy, despite last year's never-ending cold! :) We do have some dairy sensitivity.

Honestly, I'm a little resistant to a big (restrictive) diet change, because we're a VERY social family, with various friends who are vegan, casein- and gluten-free or allergic to nuts, which can make potlucking extremely challenging. But I'm always looking for recipes to accomodate whatever needs are there -- one at a time! :)