Sunday, March 27, 2011

Picking Myself Back Up

I just read this post http://downfromthedoor.blogspot.com/2010/07/racing-and-stretching.html from last summer and I'm so glad I wrote it. I needed the encouragement just now. All my plans for racing short track last year went down the drain. I raced a second race in Jacksonville, but it we had just returned from Idaho the Friday before and I guess I was drained from travelling or something because even though I'd kept up on my riding I had a terrible time with the race. It was the same track as the first one I did and I struggled even harder than before. Then, as I was standing there wondering if I was going to attempt any of the Pistis short tracks in the following weeks I won a special prize in the raffle. All five Pistis races free. Well, that pretty much made up my mind for me ;-) I thought "Ok, Lord, I think You're talking to me here" The first race I had a cold. The second one we had to be at a ministry team meeting. The third race I had a cold. The fourth race I actually signed up for and rode a practice lap to warm up. I didn't even push hard and by the time I was 2/3 of the way through I was shaking so bad I couldn't continue. The fifth race we were rushing back from out of town, but due to doing a favor for a friend who was with us we showed up at the track just as the beginner category was crossing the finish line for the final lap. It was such a fiasco the whole month, I was so discouraged. Then, due mostly to lots of viruses and other health issues I barely rode a handful of times in the next five months. And in December and January I gained ten pounds. A year and a half to lose it, a month and a half to gain it back. I was So stressed and depressed for a couple months. I've cheered up now. Kind of picked myself up and started trudging forward again. It's still a struggle every single day. I'm still fighting the slack eating habits I slopped into throughout the winter. On the exercise front though I've been doing cardio workouts with friends two to three times a week and strength training once or twice a week. Which is a whole lot better than nothing!! I rode my bike two and a half;) times this week (the half time being an aborted attempt to ride up our hill). I seem to have lost what little technical ability I had gained last spring and summer, so trail riding is a bit scary at the moment, but I know I'll gain it back quickly. I plan on racing cross country races this season. The first one is coming up on April 10th. It's a difficult and sloppy/muddy trail though and I've been strongly advised by my hubby that we have to get there early the day before so I can ride the trail and see if it's beyond me or not before I decide if I want to race it. I'm super nervous all over again, being so out of shape. But, I think I've put my finger on why I want to do this. It doesn't have anything to do with being competitive or not. It's because I want to be strong. I've been physically weak for so many years now. Many of the times I was laying there I was imagining being athletic in some way. Now having found a sport I love those dreams are waking up again. I would appreciate your prayers, my friends. I am so easily discouraged these days. I need to keep fighting for the health of this body of mine. I need it for me, my family needs it. Thanks for listening to me ramble:)

3 comments:

Momma Bug said...

Keep fighting Friend O mine~
I'm so proud of you!!
There are all kinds of races, and all kinds of battles to fight. I'm on the "last-leg-of-pregnancy-scared-to-dickens-of-impending-labor" race right now.
I don't know why because I've done this every year and a half for the last ten years, but this time it seems like I JUST did it, and then I wonder if I'll be doing it again in another 18 months and that's kind of scary too.
But one race at a time.
One workout at a time.
One victory at a time :-)

For the Glory of who?
Oh yeah. Not MY glory
but the Glory of our LORD Jesus!

LindaFaye said...

Sarah,
It seems like there is more going on here than bike riding. God is really doing something in you.
GO GIRL
Linda

RavenM said...

It's so true my friends! He is doing so much in me:) I am fighting a huge battle with my mind and emotions. When I first got back to working out after having a cold and then the flu, being sick for almost a month, I was driving to town and heard Him speak. It had been such a struggle to even get out of bed. I was afraid to push my body as hard as I knew I was on my way to do. Then He said "worship Me with all your strength today" so I did, I have Him all my strength. And He strengthened me in return. It was a precious time.

Thanks so much for the encouragement ladies! Love you both:)